Sunday, January 15, 2023

police glocks

Police Glocks - The Glock Model 48 Slimline 9mm is a modern combat pistol with a small grip frame that any hand can handle.

Five years ago I reviewed the Glock 43, the second pistol in Glock's "Slimline" series of pistols. 43 chambered in 9x19, along with its immediate predecessor, the .380 Model 42, were not the first Glock pistols to achieve a smaller grip frame while using a single-stack magazine. Chambered in the venerable .45 ACP, Glock's smallest pistol, the G36, was the company's first single-stock design.

Police Glocks

Police Glocks

According to our factory representative at the time, Craig Turner, the Model 36 came about because of a phone call I made in 1999. We had just completed a comprehensive pistol test for the Illinois State Police (ISP) that resulted in the selection of the Glock 22 as the agency's new sidearm. During the process, I successfully argued that ISP should upgrade to the 9mm cartridge they had been using since 1967. Since so many of their shootings involved vehicles on the road, I convinced the director that the .40 S&W load would penetrate the car better. glass and body metal. As an old Marine, the director asked why a .45 handgun wouldn't do an even better job.

Police Play Set (mp5k + Glock 17) Product

The Glock Model 48 9mm pistol is almost exactly the same size as a 1911 Commander size pistol and is even ¼ inch thinner through the grip. (Photo/Dick Fairburn)

When I handed him a Glock 21 in .45 ACP, he immediately realized that our smaller soldiers could never handle a frame with a large grip. The director told me to call Glock and tell them we wanted 2,400 single-piece .45 ACP pistols. When I laughed he told me quite sternly that an explanation was an order... go make a call.

So I called Craig Turner with a request for a .45 pistol suitable for all hand sizes. Craig happened to be at a bell factory in Georgia meeting with Mr. Bell himself. Craig came back on the line a few minutes later and said that Mr. Bell had no plans to build a one-piece pistol, but if we bought a Model 22 and he ever built a one-piece in .45 he would trade us in for a new one. one. One directly opposite. We all had a bit of a laugh, the ISP bought 22 and still wears them today.

About a year later, Craig called me and invited me to the next SHOT Show. He said I would see a new bell gun that would interest me. It was a Glock model 36 pistol, one .45 caliber magazine, but a concealed carry size pistol, not a service weapon. Craig told me that my phone call asking for a smaller .45 frame pistol planted the seed that became Glock's first one piece pistol.

Best Guns For Police (glock And Sig Sauer Made The List)

So when the 42 and 43 hit the market, I thought they were great concealed carry pistols, but I was still looking for a stylish pistol that small caps could more effectively use as a service pistol. In fact, I printed the following letter as a sidebar to my Model 43 review in 2015:

I just reviewed your new Model 43 Slimline 9x19 pistol and loved it (and bought it). As a 37-year veteran police firearms trainer, I have seen my profession go from 99% revolvers to 99.9% self-loading pistols. During those years we had one boss in common. Cops with small hands wrestle with service-sized pistols. These revolvers often came with large wooden target style grips, and we had to make them smaller or go for "Magna" style grips that were too small. When semi-auto took off, most agencies chose high-capacity 9mm or .40 models with double magazines and wide frames. The grip frames of the .45 semi-auto variants are even larger. The most common single-chambered semi-auto, the 1911 series, had to be carried cocked and locked, making uninformed handlers nervous.

With enough practice and determination, almost anyone can handle a Glock 9mm or .40 S&W utility pistol. However, for many "small" officers, their performance is marginal, and a smaller grip frame would be a godsend.

Police Glocks

Please, please, Mr. Bell, let Santa bring us a single-stock slimline version of your full-size Model 17 and 22 pistols (and 21 too, for that matter). Then we'll see officers with sub-par hands improve their marksmanship, weapon handling skills, and most importantly, their confidence.

Police Officers To Be Armed With Glocks

A year ago, Glock added the Model 48 to its lineup, the first sidearm service-sized slide-action pistol. I picked one up at the ILEETA conference that year and felt good, but my duties as Director of Public Safety left me with little free time and then COVID-19 shortened my range even more. However, about a month ago I won a pistol at the annual Friends of the NRA Banquet and it was a 48! Blue dial in all black, unlike the silver lensed version of the original 48s.

48 does not exactly correlate with 9mm/.40 pistols. With a barrel length of 4.17 inches, it is just a touch longer than the Model 19, which includes a 15-round magazine. Important measurements show that the 10-shot 48 is about 1/8

An inch less trigger distance (backstrap to trigger face) and about ¼ inch less grip thickness than the 19 for 15 shots. These two size reductions make the 48 much slimmer and the trigger "reach" is significantly shorter in the shooter's hand. This means that smaller hands with shorter fingers can grip the pistol normally and comfortably reach the trigger.

When I started, when we all wore revolver loading caps and muzzles, range officers bluntly informed the trainee that if they weren't "man enough" to hold their gun properly, they weren't "man enough" to be a cap. Find another job.

Illegal 'glock Switches' Are On The Rise, And They're Scaring Houston Cops

Even 40 years ago, when I first trained female officers, they had trouble picking up a .38 or .357 revolver with the large target stocks that are often standard. I had a few female officers test my Colt Lightweight Commander, chambered for .45 ACP, and quickly learned that the problem wasn't too much waste, but too much drop.

In 1967, the Illinois State Police became the first major U.S. police force to police the state. it. The police agency will accept a Smith & Wesson Model 39 autoloading pistol with a single 9mm magazine. When the agency first started hiring female officers, the Model 39 suited them and most shot very well. When the ISP upgraded to the S&W Model 59, a double-barreled pistol with nearly double the number of rounds, female officers (as well as small officers) began to have problems on the range.

I have small hands, but when I have to I can carry a large handle frame. I went through the original three day Glock transition school shooting the Model 20 with a full load of 10mm ammo. It wasn't easy, but I did it. As I enter my final year of active law enforcement, I can carry the pistol that has always suited me best, an old Colt Lightweight Commander (made in 1956, just a year younger than me). But the heyday of the 1911 design is probably over. Pistols with polymer frames and strikers fill almost any police holster and probably will until we get a Star Trek phaser. Then we can "de-escalate" them by using them in the stun setup.

Police Glocks

Bell should extend the polymer subframe to the muzzle to allow room for a gun mounted light. (Photo/Dick Fairburn)

Suspects Arrested In Stolen Car, Stolen Glock Found

48 is still not an ideal weapon for officers who fight with double-barreled pistols. It should have a short section of Picatinny rail in the front of the dust cover to mount a light and double chamber the .40 S&W cartridge. Apologies to the bullet geeks, despite your claims that the 9mm is "just as good" as the larger calibers, look at how they perform when you hit the glass and metal of the body. Starting with a larger bullet deals more terminal damage to the target after passing through the light shield. 48 is already available in a MOS version with the rear of the slide ready for optical sights, which I predict will become more and more common in service handguns.

The machined steel sights are very robust. The front profile of the blade allows you to hang the scope on something sturdy for one-handed slide manipulation. (Photo/Dick Fairburn)

The first thing I did with my new Glock 48 was take it to my old friend Richard Heinie's shop where he installed a set of his Ledge Straight-8 night sights. I have Dick's sights on all my serious pistols because they are super strong machined steel (no more flimsy plastic), are super smooth and snag free for concealed carry, and include Trijicon tritium night inserts.

The "Ledge" variant of his sights is intended for a military unit that requires a large straight face on the sight blade robust enough to allow one-handed breech manipulation. Unlike most night sights that use the familiar three-point pattern of luminous inserts, the Heinie puts a single tube inside

Fears Deadly Pistols Smuggled From Eastern Europe Are At Centre Of Mersey Gun Crime Wave

Glock custom frame work, aluminum frame glock, glock 80 percent frame, glock 80 frame, glock metal frame, white glock frame, glock frame work, glock frame rails, glock 30 frame, glock frame insert, glock frame customization, glock 34 frame

 

Recent Posts